We have just received our AGE results for 2009 and they make interesting reading (though if you had asked me who my top animals were, I would have told you without this information). There were a couple of surprises though – a couple of males that should not have been wethered…oh, well too late now!
Only three of our sires are included based on progeny (Winslow, Gold Rush and Andreas) and Andreas wins out with an index of 112.5. I don’t know how Gold Rush can be classified as a Wool Male in SRS and have a relatively low score in AGE ?? Odd. Of our up and coming males (based on their own results, not progeny) the top 5 are:
- Baarrooka Dire Straits (SLF) 135.5
- Baarrooka Skyhooks (SLF) 132.2
- Chersam D’Angelo (SDF) 116.8
- Baarrooka Mr Mister (SLF) 114.3
- Baarrooka Wham! (SLF) 113.3
Of course the new US boys are not included yet, so it will be interesting to see how they stack up.
In the female side, the top 5 Dams (based on progeny results) are:
- Baarrooka Cordela (SW) 123.7
- Surilana Jupiter Star (SDF) 114.2
- Pucara Eliza (SW) 108.4
- Baarrooka Mia (SDF) 106.7
- Surilana Kimmy (SW) 105.8
The top 5 female progeny are:
- Baarrooka Bananarama (SW) 124.9
- Baarrooka Cyndi Lauper (SLF) 124.2
- Baarrooka Elara (SDF) 122.2
- Jingana Nefertiti (SW) 119.5
- Baarrooka KISS (SW) 119.0
Dire Straits, Skyhooks, Cyndi Lauper and KISS are all ET progeny of Baarrooka Cordela and Bananarama is from the same sire and Cordela’s sister Coretta! And in the fawns, Jupiter Star is the dam of Mia and Elara. So a couple of potent maternal lines there! And all of the top 10 females are mated to either Durango or Ultimate Black, so it will be interesting to see what results we get in the coloured animals in the coming years.
Also interesting to note that Cordela has 4 males in the Baarrooka Stud Row, Eliza has 2 and Queen Wilhelmina, who came in at number 6 on the best dams list (pretty good for a brown!), has 5 boys in stud row. So the theory is matching the in-practice results. Nice to know!